Esther and I attended the Amanda Palmer Kickstarter Countdown in Brooklyn and it was absolutely extraordinary! Thank you to Larissa for putting it together. Thank you Esther for coming and making every event so wonderful. These photos were taken by her.
I walked around this parking lot which was more like a maze of creativity! Everywhere I would turn would be something delightful. I ran into some of my favorite people there and met many more as I would plant myself in a spot and draw like crazy. I gave away most of my drawings to the people in them but I have these 3 still.
Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman, what a site! I only recently heard of Amanda through the great Cynthia von Buhler, she’s one of the artists featured in the Amanda art book. I donated to Amanda’s kickstarter, can’t wait to hear the vinyl! I had no idea what I was in for with this party though! It was out of control!
This was the first time meeting Amanda and Neil. Amanda had so much energy, it was intense.
The first of Neil’s writing I ever saw was Death: The High Cost of Living. It was the first comic I ever read that actually wasn’t cheesy! It is my favorite comic right after Watchmen. I showed Neil the drawing I was doing and he shouted “Lovely!” which was very nice.
Another high point was: I was sitting on the ground drawing the talented John Reid as he was assembling Amanda Palmer’s infamous Balloon Dress. John loved the drawing I made so much that he found me at the end of the night and presented me with… A BALLOON ME!!! Silent James as a balloon man!!! It is one of the most incredible things I’ve ever received in my life. There’s a photo of Me with it and John with the drawing I gave him. He told me the balloon man will only last three (apropos) days.
Some of the other highlights of the evening were seeing so many friends. I drew some of the lovely ladies and the chicken bag! Love you all! All the performers were amazing, there were 2 events going on at the same time. Out of control. Pirates, fire, slight of hand, tarot, art, singing, the Anywhere Organ, photos, gosh… so much! And Heather Graham! I couldn’t believe it! She was so beautiful in person. The funny thing is that she starred in the later episodes of Twin Peaks which is all about a girl who died named… Laura Palmer. Now that I’ve met her and Johnny Depp, my “From Hell” list is almost complete… where’s that Ian Holm? haha
There were magicians doing serious illusions. A guy escaped a straight jacket! There were fire balls! Burke and Veronica’s outfits! Ali… on stilts! Madness!!!
In summary, I’ve always been unable to accept the time period I was born in. Just like in “Midnight in Paris”, I’ve always wished to live in a different era. I always marvel at famous groups of artists throughout history and wish I was a part of it all. Andy Warhol’s factory in the 60’s for example, all those creative types playing off each other. Being at Amanda and Larissa’s party last night really made me feel like it may be happening here right now. Thank you!
- thekeenbeans reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- abombloves reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- koala-stralia likes this
- summertimerealness reblogged this from silentjames and added:
- gabybeargen likes this
- imadcat likes this
- icecoldnukacola reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- recklessbeing reblogged this from standpoor
- standpoor reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- rociobdesign likes this
- elevendancesofthediaspora likes this
- udnoestaaqui likes this
- humorragia reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- queerella reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- pyatnitstso likes this
- musicalfish likes this
- musicalfish reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- rebuiltmachinery likes this
- momsingle likes this
- alalai likes this
- lightly-my-darling likes this
- littlejanelle reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- littlejanelle likes this
- rnfox likes this
- nuculture reblogged this from thekateblack and added:
- do-you-have-a-flag likes this
- almostbrainless likes this
- rey18m likes this
- easternelf likes this
- taraloves likes this
- tattooedg33k likes this
- jillthompson likes this
- maliciastarling likes this
- midnightbethany reblogged this from thekateblack and added:
- thekateblack reblogged this from silentjames and added:
- jamesovei likes this
- cemeterycake likes this
- writersbloqinc likes this
- londett likes this
- victoriousvocabulary likes this
- rivervox likes this
- stonehenge1121 likes this
- lentiginous likes this
- hazelnutfilling likes this
- immortalsparrow likes this
- jenarwen likes this
- historytellsastory likes this
- rarambol likes this
- herfreakshows likes this
- color-reporter likes this